Some people are a light in our path, while others become dark which numbs our path. Likewise, there are people who would do the unimaginable for us and others who would not lift a finger due to their lack of empathy.
Each of us relates differently in each context. Consequently, there are relationships that enrich our path and others that don’t do so much; the latter usually occur from a lack of empathy .
Have you ever had to deal with people who do not accept that you make mistakes? Have you ever related to people who do not take into account your thoughts and feelings? These are people lacking empathy, who are not interested in putting themselves in someone else’s shoes.
Empathy is the ability to understand the other person’s point of view, perceiving and being aware of his or her feelings. Some people, however, do not have this quality. We talk about it in this article, as well as what disorders can be associated with the lack of empathy and what is the best way to relate to these subjects.
Consequences of the lack of empathy
People with little or no empathy do not rely on the ability or interest to understand and perceive the feelings of others. These people fail to:
- Caring for others. They don’t pay attention, because they are focused on themselves or because they don’t care what happens to others.
- Sensitize. Although you tell them your thoughts and feelings, they show no interest in perceiving and understanding what is happening to you.
- To trust. By not truly perceiving the thoughts and feelings of others, people lacking empathy cannot lay the foundation for a relationship based on trust.
- Believe in the feelings of others. They doubt the emotions of others, so they show themselves cold.
- Feeling compassion. They are not motivated to relieve the pain or suffering of other people.
Keeping these traits in mind can help you recognize which of your acquaintances show a lack of empathy. Consider that any relationship has nuances, some people are little or very empathetic.
People lacking empathy, selfish people
People lacking empathy don’t put themselves in someone else’s shoes. For this reason, they neglect their feelings and thoughts. One of the most prominent characteristics in people with little empathy is selfishness .
They can be very selfish, as they think about their own well-being and underestimate the needs of others. Therefore, they take advantage of every situation to obtain benefits and advantages. In other words, they use others.
They also exacerbate the need for reciprocity in relationships : they only give if they receive something in return. They never provide information in a selfless way. They relate to an end, a utility, making manipulation a lifestyle.
The lack of empathy can therefore make people appear cold to us, since we have experienced unpleasant situations with them, we have felt little understood because they only think about their well-being. These are unfriendly people who do not bond with others.
Disorders associated with lack of empathy
We can all be lacking in empathy at times. However, some people sport this feature as a banner. Some psychological disorders are closely related to the lack of empathy, we will talk about them below:
- Narcissistic personality disorder. These people are self-centered, they care extremely for themselves while ignoring others. Their lack of empathy causes this personality disorder which prevents the person from seeing beyond themselves.
- Psychopathy. The person is unable to adapt to social norms and it is difficult for them to get in tune with others.
- Borderline Personality Disorder. The person has emotional instability, which is why it costs them to maintain stable relationships. There is great difficulty in understanding and predicting how others feel.
When you try to explain to these people why their unhealthy relationships are, they fail to understand it and can even make us feel guilty by turning the omelette over and claiming that it was we who misbehaved. Be careful, the lack of empathy can cause a lot of pain in those who experience it.
How to deal with people lacking empathy?
Some people lacking in empathy not only cost it to understand others, but they manipulate to get what they want; Below we give you some tips for dealing with personalities of this type:
- Set limits. We must not allow anyone to push the boundaries.
- Choose your friends well. If a person thinks only of himself, do not choose him as a friend. It will only cause us discomfort.
- Be assertive. Communicate your feelings in the best possible way.
- Walk away if there is no emotional connection. If we do not perceive that there is a connection between our thoughts and feelings with those of the other person, it is better to move away; we may have a person lacking empathy in front of us.
Extremes are never good. Sometimes we may be wrong and only see our interests, but that doesn’t mean we’re not empathic. The important thing is to know how to choose which people to have next to and in whom to place our trust. In this way we will know who to rely on in difficult times.
People lacking empathy are truly disinterested in others. They can’t put themselves in our shoes to understand what we feel and think. They do not see beyond their world and thus remain in their comfort zone.
Run away from people who twist your arguments to make you feel guilty. They just try to bring water to their mill to get what they want. They are manipulative and cold people, who do not sincerely express their feelings, nor understand the situation you are experiencing.