In recent decades, new forms of art have appeared that respond to the enormous cultural changes we have witnessed. Knowing them and keeping them in mind is good, since as spectators we can see in them new forms of expression and the way in which artists open up new paths to explore creativity.
Art is a resource that we have at hand to know ourselves, to express ourselves and to renew ourselves. There are many studies that highlight the potential of art in personal well-being. The ideal would be for all of us to reserve a space for artistic creation in our lives.
In art it is not the result that counts, but the practice. Clearly we cannot all be great artists, nor create works to be exhibited or that will have enormous success. The important thing is to practice to have a space to express ourselves, whether it is in the classical sphere or in that of new forms of art.
The classical art forms
Traditional art forms are those that took shape in remote times and that traditionally have accompanied man and society throughout history.
Almost all of them date back to the distant past and have been around for as long as human beings have existed. At first they were closely associated with the concept of magic, but then they gained autonomy. The six classical arts are as follows:
- Painting. Perhaps humanity’s first art form. It consists in representing reality graphically, through the use of figures and / or colors, on a solid support.
- Sculpture. This is also a very ancient form of art, which has to do with the modeling of material in order to create figures that represent the world, both in concrete and abstract form.
- The music. Appearing at the dawn of humanity, it imitated the sounds of nature and at first had an exclusively ritual purpose. It consists in the production of harmonic sounds by means of the voice or an instrument.
- Dance. This form of art also has a ritual origin and in this case the means of expression is the body which comes into harmony with the rhythm of the music. At first the theater was part of the dance, but then it became independent from it.
- The architecture. It concerns the construction of buildings that fulfill an aesthetic purpose. This is also one of the oldest art forms, as there are ritual buildings that take us back thousands of years.
- The literature. It is a later type of art, which began as a form of oral storytelling and then translated into written form.
- Cinema is considered the seventh art. It was born only in the twentieth century and, in one way or another, brings together all the other artistic forms. We could say that he is a pioneer of new forms of art in the world.
The new forms of art
Urban life, technology and new ways of interpreting the world have changed the landscape. Some of the new art forms in the world are:
- Photography. Photography is one of the new art forms that have become popular. It is defined as the art of painting using light, through a device called a camera.
- Circus. The talents performing at the circus and the new ways of presenting this show have made it an art form in itself. It belongs to the performing arts and mixes theater, music and dance.
- Gastronomy. Cooking is an activity that can reach enormous levels of complexity. Furthermore, it is a form of individual and social expression, for which it is considered a new form of art.
And let’s not forget …
- Comics. They mix painting, literature and cinema to offer new forms of expression that began with the development of printing. There is a sub-genre that is gaining great popularity: the graphic novel.
- New forms of plastic art. Within the new art forms there are various forms of expression that fall within the plastic arts. Digital art, graffiti, new media art, multimedia, interactive and electronic art, as well as interventions in public spaces are considered evolutions of painting and sculpture.
New art forms were born in response to changes in the way we perceive, feel and express the world. While they don’t have the tradition of previous art forms behind them, they are just as valid.